Despite not actually bashing anybody, my game is called Slasher Basher mostly because the villains from awful 80’s slasher flicks are the enemies. Each villain gets their own level, so I tried to make the visuals suit them. I wanted a dreary and darkish feel, so the first level is made up of a bunch of greys, which makes the white mask stand out a bit. the second level needed to look a bit scarier, so I went with a red motif to match Freddy’s skin and sort of give him a hellish environment. The last level I wanted to look grimy as well, so I tried to make it look like a dirty tile floor in a basement or bathroom or something.
Each level presented different challenges, so the first level was probably most difficult. It took me a while to figure out I needed to have the level at the same x and y coordinates as the stage so that my collision detection would work, as well as the movement of the player. for a while, he would only move around in the bottom right hand corner. But figuring that out I then had trouble calling a new stage to the screen, which I figured out about ten minutes before I saw the email with Shep’s hint. Bullets and movement were trickiest in the second level, especially trying to get two instances of the same symbol to have different motion paths. I eventually just made them two separate symbols, but bullets were a bit difficult for me as well. I had to read Rex three times before I understood how the Weapons class related to the Bullet and vice versa. I used the Actionscript bible and Rex throughout this project, and thankfully those sources had all the answers I needed. Other than a couple of internet searches, those two had it covered.