A Labyrinth of Code

dungeon 1

Play my game Here.

My game is the Minotaur’s Labyrinth. I wanted the theme to be loosely based on mythology so I picked the story of the Minotaur. The player takes on the role of Pan, the nature spirit. Pan has to make his way through the labyrinth, avoid his enemies, defeat a minotaur and answer a riddle. I stuck to many of my original design choices. I used silhouetted characters and walls. I contrasted them against glowing eyes, objects and text. This was one of the design decisions that I used thematically. I felt that it highlighted select pieces of the game calling the players attention to the important parts. 

dungeon 2

In the first level the player must navigate through the “labyrinth’ all the while avoiding the life-sucking Minotaurs. Pan must locate a key and use it to unlock a door that divides the maze in two. The player is then free to find the magic sphere and exit level one. In level two Pan slays the king of the Minotaurs.  He uses the magic sphere (and the space bar) to destroy his enemy. Level three can then be unlocked: this is the final challenge. In keeping with traditions of mythology I chose a riddle. The player must enter the correct answer. I tried to connect the riddle to the theme of the story. The closet I came was: What has a head a tail is brown but cannot walk? A “penny” (from lost treasure to gold to money to pennies).

I encountered quite a few problems along the way. The first hurdle was with my wall class. I didn’t struggle with it: I tried a for loop, it worked, and I kept going. My weapons and bullets gave me some trouble. I never fully solved the problem. However, when I commented out my second enemy the problem disappeared. I decided one Minotaur King was enough.

dungeon 3

I began designing my third level with the intent to use a memory game which incorporated flashing lights and sounds. Unfortunately the game used a sprite which I am still unfamiliar with. Everything was supposed to be created dynamically and I felt at a loss as how to even begin troubleshooting. So, I switched to the riddle option. This had its own problems. The input text was tricky to control and sending the player on to the game over page stumped me for some time. (I eventually realized that the game over movieclip wasn’t attached to an AS file.) The last problem I had was getting the player to move after I restarted the game. The solution was simple: click on the stage. I didn’t even consider this however, until after hearing that other people had resolved their player issues this way.

Overall however, I feel this was an effective learning experience. I enjoyed designing the dungeon style game which moved from one room to the next. It was also fun having to work at creating a cohesive gaming experience.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s