Click here to view my game.
My game is creatively titled “Beverage Hangman,” which is exactly what it sounds like. Every word in the game’s dictionary is a type of beverage, and the score counter is an abstract icon depicting a glass of liquid slowly being emptied with each incorrect guess. Even the game’s sounds contributed to the theme, with a series of gulps, slurps, burps, and satisfied sighs giving the player a sense of their progress.
All in all, things went as smoothly as I could have hoped. My biggest frustration came from checking the currently-guessed letter against the correct letters of the word. I attempted to make an if statement that used a loop and this function to incorporate all the letters of the word, but for some reason the code just wouldn’t take. It wasn’t a soul-crushing defeat though, as I simply made 8 if statements for each of the individual letters. Not ideal, but also not as tedious as the 26 separate letter functions I had written earlier.
I also had some trouble getting the end game conditions to register. I had no trouble getting my checkEnd function (which was later replaced) to trigger whenever the user guessed a correct letter, but I couldn’t figure out how to make a 9th if statement that triggered the function if the letter was incorrect. I realized I should put the call to that function outside of my original 8 if statements, then check a correctCounter variable to determine if any correct letters had been guessed.
It took me about 20 minutes to get the sound working correctly, but it was because I hadn’t exported it properly for Actionscript; not a huge deal.
I wish I had time to add an animation to the beginning, but unfortunately this is a busy weekend for me. Overall though I enjoyed this assignment because it pulled together everything we’ve learned so far, and let us put the pieces together in our own way.
UPDATE: I started working on a starting animation, but a lot of errands came up yesterday that prevented me from finishing.