To Catch a Pokemon – Animation assignment by Chris Kradle

The title of my animation is “to catch a Pokémon.”

I chose to tell this story because it is something that reminds me of my childhood. On one side (the players side), is the pixilated player and pixilated Pokémon to represent what Pokémon once was, and on the other side (the enemy’s side), is the clean, non-pixilated Pokémon to represent what Pokémon has become. I was always curious how the game designers made the animations just right, and with some of the tools of Flash, I was able to recreate some of the animations.


The characters I had in my animation was the trainer (Ash), the Pokémon the trainer chooses (Wigglytuff), and the Pokémon the trainer wants to catch (Charmander). The character of the pokéball is used to “catch” Charmander and make him become Ash’s Pokémon.
The reusable symbols that I used were the white rectangle with the pokéballs as corners where the text would go. The text would change, but the background of the white rectangle and pokéball corners stayed the same. Once the Pokémon appeared, I also chose to show their “bar” that shows how much health the Pokémon has as well as the name of the Pokémon.


The new animation that I incorporated was a 3D tween that starts at the beginning of my animation with my title. I looked at the Flash CS5.5: The Missing Manual for some ideas for different kinds of animation to try. I noticed 3D animation on page 186, but it only showed me how to move objects, not how to animate them. For the animation in 3D, I went to Lynda.com’s Todd Perkins video tutorial (under section 10) on how to make a 3D tween.
The most frustrating problem I had was to get some of the white background off my .jpeg pictures. I fumbled around with it for awhile (and viewed a few YouTube videos that did not help), so I eventually buckled and asked Dr. Delweche for help. Thankfully, it only took a few minutes to figure out my problem, but I spent a good 45 minutes banging my head against the computer.
Most of the artwork for my animation came from taking screenshots off YouTube videos, cropping them, and inserting them into my animation. I wanted the pixilated feel of the old game on the player’s side, but the “new” clear Pokémon on the other side to show a dichotomy of what graphics were like to what they have become. Other than that, I went to Google images as well as pokememes.com to get Charmander, the fire, and the pokéballs. I did not go to the free art files like I should have because I knew they wouldn’t have the exact images I wanted.

If I could do anything different, I would make sure that I had all my images first before I started my animation because I had to constantly go back and forth photoshopping, cropping, and getting pictures off the web. This bogged me down and didn’t allow for a complete flow of work. I probably would have saved about 30 minutes of time if I had been fully prepared with all my images before starting the project.

Advertisements

About ckradle

Senior Political Science/Communication major from Eagan, MN
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s