The first problem gave me a bit of a challenge but nothing that Google couldn’t solve. For some reason I was having difficulty inserting my pencil line into the motion path. I’m still not certain what I was doing wrong but I managed to get it to work after reading up on some instructions in a Flash forum. The line wasn’t pretty though. I think I prefer working with a motion path and bending the line like we did in exercise 4.
Problem two gave me the most trouble. My instinct was to find a way to convert symbols into shapes so that I could take an image and shape-tween it into text. There were some instructions on how to use movie clips for this but they did a poor job of explaining the process. So, after fruitless research I settled on doing some time-consuming drawing. I didn’t feel I was up to creating a brain so I decided on a light bulb. I then used the pen tool to trace my text. From here it wasn’t tough to shape tween the two.
This final part of the exercise just required some extra thought for me. I looked at the two files next to each other and the animations looked the same as I went over them frame by frame. However, when I went to the library for the second wheel and examined the contents of the movieclip I saw that it was composed of 3 layers. The layer named ‘Spokes’ had a 2 frame animation. The spokes do a 22.5 degree rotation from one frame to the next creating a spinning effect.
All in all this homework took me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours.