I chose to do the project about making a clock using color samples, and immediately had an idea in my head of how I wanted it to look. The only concern I had was about getting the clock motor working, and how best to obtain a clock motor in the first place. Although it didn’t totally turn out how I’d anticipated, it was a great learning process, and I hope to make another one soon.
After watching a couple tutorial videos, and reading step-by-step instructions about making a clock, I recognized what tools I would need: a screwdriver, cheap clock, color samples, batteries, and glue. The idea was to take apart the cheap clock and detach the motor and hands so that I could use them in my new clock. However, I encountered my first, and biggest, problem. The pictures and videos made it look really easy, but apparently the clock I purchased was determined to stay in one piece. So I prodded and pried at the motor and hands, but nothing would detach. At this point, I didn’t want to have to go out and pay for another clock, and I was too afraid of breaking the one I already had if I pulled too hard or smashed the screwdriver into it on accident. Because of this, I tried to improvise and cut up my color samples to glue as a new background. I almost forgot to mark where the numbers were, and that would have been another problem, but at the last second I remembered, and marked numbers on the outside so it wouldn’t be seen once the cover was back on. My only other real problem was that I didn’t have a clear idea in my mind of how I wanted to fill the background with my different color samples, because my initial idea could not be produced in the circular area. I started going for an almost camo look, and then realized I didn’t like it; however, my color samples were then lacking quite a bit, so I had to scrap together pieces to try and make thick diagonal stripes.
I found two video tutorials, one by this nerdy guy who apparently had multiple videos of “how-to” things, and he made a really neat clock out of kitchen materials. The other video tutorial had another “how-to” girl (she actually called herself this) and she made a clock with Styrofoam pieces and paint. Although neither of these used color samples like I did, they showed the important process of taking apart an old clock for the motor and using a new surface area for which to attach the motor. The written tutorials were just as beneficial with detailed descriptions, as well as step-by-step pictures to show progress.
I think both the videos and instructional web pages provided help for my process; however, the videos were personally more beneficial in learning, because some parts were easier to understand and replicate by watching the hands-on activity. I think the people who created these tutorials also have a lot of passion for arts and crafts and want to share their experiences and ideas, which benefits people like me with barely any talent in that field.